I love my smartphone and iPad so much that my husband often makes jokes about my need to be with one of them at all times. No matter what I’m doing, one of these mobile devices is almost always in my hands. I think it all relates to my inability to do just one thing at a time.
So while we are watching MasterChef or The Next Food Network Star in the evenings, I am also keeping up on what is happening in the ASHA Community.
As with any relationship, there are habits or characteristics that are less than appealing about the other person. The pet peeve I have with my mobile devices is the constant need to use pinch-to-zoom maneuvers to read or navigate the browser. To avoid this, I usually download the app when there is one available for a particular website or service.
Until now, the only way I could surf the ASHA Community was with my mobile devices’ browsers. You can imagine my excitement when the ASHA Community Mobile App idea was formed—my hand was definitely raised to be part of the team working on that project! Well, the day has finally come. The new ASHA Community Mobile App is not only helping my relationship with mobile devices, it helps all ASHA members with these unique features:
- Convenient. Read all the latest discussions from your subscriptions in a single feed.
- Seamless. Reply to discussions and post new discussions without pinch-to-zoom maneuvers.
- Searchable. Find your colleagues in the directory and easily add them to your personal contacts. With a couple of taps on your screen, you can send an e-mail or make a phone call to another ASHA member.
- Latest news. Find ASHA’s Twitter feed and read this and other ASHAsphere blog posts directly in the app.
If you are as excited as I am, then you have already downloaded the app on all of your devices. Just in case, here are the steps:
- From your mobile device, click on the appropriate link below or visit your app store and search “ASHA Community.”
- Download the app.
- Log in with your ASHA username and password.
You’ll see your name at the top of the navigation. Under your profile, you will see Discussions, People, Inbox, Announcements, and a list of communities to which you subscribe. The ASHA Community Mobile App will help you stay connected with other ASHA members and allow you to post questions to your colleagues on the go–or when you are sitting on the couch enjoying your favorite show.
Visit community.asha.org/mobile to learn more about ASHA’s new mobile app. If you have app-related questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jill Straniero is ASHA’s online collaboration manager.