Happy Better Hearing & Speech Month! This May marks the 85th anniversary of Better Hearing and Speech Month (BHSM), a month dedicated to raising awareness about communication disorders and to promoting treatment that can improve the quality of life for those who experience problems with speaking, understanding, or hearing. ASHA offers many resources for BHSM, and with each passing year, more and more SLPs, audiologists, and others interested in CSD are using social media to share ideas for celebrating BHSM.
Twitter is a great way to hear what others are doing to celebrate BHSM. You can follow the #BHSM hashtag on Twitter or just bookmark this link and check it throughout the month to follow the conversations about BHSM on Twitter. We’ve also started a Better Hearing & Speech Month Ideas board on Pinterest, where we’ll be pinning/re-pinning resources and ideas we see throughout the month.
Each week throughout May ASHAsphere will be highlighting some of the blog posts and other resources we’ve found using these social media sources. Here are just a few of the many posts we’ve seen this week:
- Christopher Bugaj, MA CCC-SLP, did his annual A.T. TIPSCAST podcast and accompanying blog post about language-based curriculum, dedicated to BHSM.
- Dan P McLellan, CCC-SLP, did a post about BHSM in his new blog, Speechguy.
- Stephanie Bruno Dowling, M.S. CCC-SLP, lists some BHSM resources on the Advance Early Intervention Speech Therapy blog.
- Canadian SLP Skye Blue Angus has a great May Month (Canada’s Speech and Hearing Month) photo of the day challenge on her blog, CREE-ZY, CRAZY SPEECHIE.
- Lisa M. Geary, MS, CCC-SLP created printable information pages SLPs can share with parents, teachers and other educators, along with some other BHSM resources, on Livespeaklove.
Share your blog posts or other resources in the comments and we’ll continue sharing them each Thursday throughout May.
Maggie McGary is the online community & social media manager at ASHA, and manages ASHAsphere.