In recognition of National Aphasia Awareness Month, ASHA hosted a Twitter chat with Nancy Helm-Estabrooks, the SLP coordinating supplemental home speech-language services for Gabby Giffords. The chat took place on Twitter on Monday, June 25. Participants used the hashtag #aphasiachat and asked some great questions of Nancy. You can read the full transcript of the chat here (transcript goes in reverse chronological order), but here are just some of the questions/answers from the chat:
Here are a few additional resources related to aphasia:
- National Aphasia Association
- Academy of Neurologic Communication Sciences and Disorders
- ASHA’s aphasia resource page
- Aphasia corner blog
- National Stroke Association
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- The Aphasia Alliance, a coalition of organizations focused on aphasia in the UK
- ASHA Leader interview with Nancy Helm-Estabrooks
Thanks to AARP and the National Aphasia Association for helping us spread the word about the chat!
This Twitter chat was a first for ASHA–what other topics would you like to see us address for potential future chats?
Maggie McGary is the online community & social media manager at ASHA, and manages ASHAsphere.